Series: Stand Alone
Published by HarperTeen on March 15th 2011
Genres: Young Adult- Fantasy/ Paranormal
Buy on Amazon
It was a slender length of rusted steel, tapered to a point at one end and jagged at the other, as if it had broken. A thousand people would step over it and think it trash, but not her.
This was the tip of a rapier.
Sixteen-year-old Jill has fought in dozens of fencing tournaments, but she has never held a sharpened blade. When she finds a corroded sword piece on a Caribbean beach, she is instantly intrigued and pockets it as her own personal treasure.
The broken tip holds secrets, though, and it transports Jill through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Stranded in the past and surrounded by strangers, she is forced to sign on as crew. But a pirate's life is bloody and brief, and as Jill learns about the dark magic that brought her there, she forms a desperate scheme to get home—one that risks everything in a duel to the death with a villainous pirate captain.
Time travel, swordplay, and romance combine in an original high-seas adventure from New York Times bestseller Carrie Vaughn.
I finally managed to read books from my own pile! And this read was quick yet very exciting.
1. Pirates. Yup, you heard right. Imagine Pirates of the Caribbean but with teens. Freaking awesome!
2. Fighting. Lots of good fighting scenes that make your heart race. I simply adored every moment of the sword, the art of breathing in and out, taking note of every move that you make. Simply amazing.
3. Crush. There really wasn’t a significant love interest but there was a crush that made the book much more adorable. I could tell just by their grins that being on the boat with them was going to be fun. Nothing is ever boring.
4. Pirate Talk. Let me tell you that talking like a pirate is harder than what I though. I tired talking like one for a while and instead found myself frustrated. The pirate talk is cool and it definitely inspire me to try something new for a while.
5. Short. My only gripe is that the book is short. I long to go on another pirate adventure. I want to be on the boat. See the waves crush against the ship. Scrub the deck. I want to search for pirate booty and claim land!
Steel is an awesome read! Fierce and action-packed, Steel takes the reader on pirate adventure you’d never forget.
I give it 4 BITES!